Terme di Roselle

Not far from Grosseto, in the Tuscan Maremma, are the historic Terme di Roselle “Leopoldine”. The thermal waters flow at a temperature of 38 degrees centigrade.

In Roselle there are the most ancient thermal baths of the Tuscan Maremma, already used in Roman times for the precious curative virtues of the thermal waters. Roselle, an important city founded by the Etruscans and later Roman, is a wonderful enigma of contemporary archeology. It is no coincidence that the meaning of the ancient name Rusellae corresponds to the Italian concept “flow of water, area or country of currents”, thanks to the hydro-thermal nature of the Rosellana area. One of the ancient thermal springs came out on the slopes of the Colle di Moscona with a high heat of 38 degrees centigrade and in Roman times, they were enlarged, so much so as to be called Terme di Diocleziano (Balneum de Roselle) for a restoration wanted by the emperor himself. Almost completely abandoned in the Middle Ages, like the whole Maremma, the thermal baths were taken into consideration by the Sienese Republic in 1334. Only after the meeting of the Tuscan state is any interest in the Terme di Roselle renewed. In 1822, the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo di Lorena ordered the restoration of the spa, completed in 1824 on a project by the architect Giuseppe Rossi and Lorenzo Corsi (a few years later the historic reclamation of the Maremma in 1828 under Leopoldo II of Lorraine would begin). During the works various objects from different periods came to light including 4 marble lions’ heads with their mouths open like a gargle due to the jet of water; probable late Etruscan work of Hellenistic influence. Two heads were placed at the entrance to the baths, where they are still preserved (the other two are now kept in the Archaeological Museum of Grosseto). On the pediment of the façade, a plaque dedicated to Pietro Leopoldo recalls these events.

The thermal waters of the Roselle area have a special sulphate-alkaline-earth composition, are rich in carbonic acid and slightly radioactive.

Ancient Thermal Spring

The ancient source of Roselle – 38 degrees – used since the time of the Romans, would be in the place where the construction of a new one is now being planned thermal establishment and not in the one renovated by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo di Lorena in 1824, now closed to thermal functions and seat of the Pro Loco.

The springs of which the whole Rosellan area is rich, are valid for the musculoskeletal system, such as arthritic or arthritic disorders, post-operative treatments, rehabilitation for fractures, treatments for some skin diseases, treatments for gastrointestinal problems, treatments for the respiratory tract . Until 1964 they were open all year round, the 1966 flood diverted their flow (although this event has never been demonstrated geologically, leaving open different interpretations about it). The ancient building of the Terme Leopoldine can still be visited by tourists, closed for more than forty years, and was restored in 1984 without the restoration of the thermal function. The Municipality of Grosseto has already started the construction of the new modern spa with a curative and recreational character (already partly built and abandoned to itself), but the “whole politics” for several years has by now in no way contributed to the reopening of the Terme di Roselle, which would constitute an important resource for The Maremma Grossetana and the whole Tuscany region.