Capalbio is the last town in the Tuscan Maremma to the south. The ancient medieval village, located on the top of a densely vegetated hill, is one of the best preserved in the whole region.

Capalbio is a town with a medieval face that develops on the top of a small hill, in the southernmost area of Tuscany, in the Maremma Grossetana, almost on the border with Lazio. The village of Capalbio, 45 km away from Grosseto, is located about 200 meters from the sea in front of Monte Argentario, in the splendid territory of the Costa d’Argento, surrounded by an expanse of cultivated fields along the Chiarone ditch and populated woods. from wild boars. Entering Capalbio means taking a step back five centuries. The charm of the village lies in its alleys, which retain the medieval aspect. The double circle of walls built by the Aldobrandeschip before 1339, constitutes a pleasant pedestrian path that offers splendid views up to the sea. The Porta Senese (1418) still retains the original fifteenth-century wooden doors, as well as the coat of arms of the city. The Church of San Nicola, on the other hand, has a notable bell tower and precious Romanesque capitals (XII-XIII centuries). Opposite, theHoly Arch preserves a portrait of the emperor Hadrian. Outside the walls, the Oratory of Santa Maria della Provvidenza preserves 15th century frescoes from the Umbrian school (Pinturicchio).

Capalbio, defined as the “Little Athens”, is a tourist destination of great charm and an established cultural (and tourist) center of the Maremma.

Capalbio is today a favorite holiday destination of the intelligentsia of the capital, Rome, it hosts an elite tourism in its many scattered, luxuriously restored farmhouses. The coast of Capalbio runs for 12 kilometers, borders Orbetello to the north and extends as far as the border with the Maremma Laziale. It is characterized by sandy beaches and a clear sea, all immersed in the splendid Mediterranean scrub, with numerous bathing establishments and 6 km of free beach. In the area it is possible to visit the Natural Reserve of Lake Burano (WWF Oasis) and the extraordinary Garden of Tarots by the French sculptor Niki de Saint Phalle, in Garavicchio, a few kilometers from the village. Every year, in Capalbio there are two film festivals held in the municipality: Capalbio Cinema International and Capalbio Art. The first is an international short film festival born in 1994, takes place in the summer and brings well-known names from the world of the big screen to the city, rewards the best emerging directors and promotes the diffusion of the best films in competition. The second is instead a review of feature films born in 2000 which is held annually, in summer, in Piazzi dei Pini. Capalbio Art also organizes photography, painting and sculpture exhibitions, video installations, projections, concerts. The quality of the projections and events have made this event a fixed appointment in Tuscany and Maremma. Thanks to these events, Capalbio has become a real cultural center, as well as a tourist one.

Capalbio food and wine

In Capalbio not only the pleasure of sight is satisfied but also that of the palate. The food and wine of Capalbio is famous throughout the Tuscan Maremma. In this land of hunters and farmers there is certainly no shortage of typical products with the purest flavors: come on Wines, like the famous Capalbio DOC, Ansonica DOC, a product of the Silver Coast, to game dishes, but above all the wild boar meatprepared according to ancient recipes in the restaurants and trattorias of the area. Do not miss the fish, snail and wild boar festivals, to savor the excellent traditional cuisine of the Maremma village, with memorable aromas and flavors.

The Origins of Capalbio

The origins of Capalbio are very ancient. Known since the 7th century, when it belonged to the Roman Abbey of the Tre Fontane, in the Middle Ages it belonged to the Aldobrandeschi and Orsini. Sienese from 1416, it then became part of the Medici possessions and rapidly declined. Capalbio is also famous for the phenomenon of banditry: in 1886 the most famous of the Maremma outlaws, Domenico Tiburzi, died there. The village resumed its flight only in 1950, with the post-war agrarian reform. The name “Capalbio” derives from caput album (bald head), from the symbol of the town: on the Sienese gate you can see the coat of arms with the lion of Siena holding up a bald head.

Resources on Capalbio